Effective November 9, 2018
This website is owned and operated by Moderna, Inc. (“Moderna”, “we”, “our” or “us”). The materials on our website (the “website” or the “site”) are provided by Moderna as a service to our customers and the general public and are to be used for informational purposes only.
Exclusions. This policy only addresses Personal Data collected through this website. It does not describe the ways in which we may collect or use Personal Data obtained offline, and it does not address or control the privacy practices of other websites (including those we link to), which may have their own policies. We encourage our website users to be aware when they leave our website and to read the privacy statements of each and every website they visit that collects Personal Data. Unsolicited information you provide to us may be deemed to be non-confidential and Moderna will be free to reproduce, use, disclose, and distribute such unsolicited information to others without permission, compensation, limitation or attribution.
We will handle your Personal Data in accordance with applicable law and in line with the following principles:
- We will process Personal Data lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner.
- We will only collect Personal Data for a specified, explicit and legitimate purpose, and we will only use personal information for the purposes for which it was originally collected.
- We will limit collection of Personal Data to the extent necessary in relation to the purpose for which they are processed.
- We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that your Personal Data is accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date.
- We will store Personal Data for no longer than is necessary for the purpose for which the Personal Data are processed.
- Personal Data will only be processed in a manner that ensures appropriate security of the personal information.
Information We Collect
You may visit our website without affirmatively providing any information about yourself. If you choose to submit your information through the “Join our Mailing List” or the “Contact Us” features on our website or if you apply for a job opening with Moderna via the “Careers” section of our website, we may ask you to provide Personal Data, such as your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address, job title, company name, country, information about your job role and any other job-related information. You are not obligated to provide any Personal Data to Moderna, but your ability to use our website or its features and your ability to apply for an employment position may be limited if you do not.
“Cookies” are small files that the website places on your hard drive for identification purposes. These files are used for website registration and for customization of your next time visit to our website. For example, cookies will remember your preferred language and display. Cookies cannot read data off of your hard drive.
We use the following cookies on our website:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into your job applicant account.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognize you when you return to our website and to embed functionality from third party services. This enables us to personalize our content for you, remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language) and to integrate useful services provided by third party providers into our website.
- Analytical cookies. We use the Google Analytics platform to collect certain analytical information to help us better understand activity on our website and improve our services and the quality of our website. This information includes the IP address, page requests, referring websites or ads, operating system and browser, and time spent on our website. We receive this data in an aggregated form. We use this information to help us understand how visitors engage with our website, measure the effectiveness of our advertising on third-party websites, and to improve our visitors’ experience.
Personal Data From Third-Party Sources. We may receive information about you from publicly and commercially available sources, as permitted by law, which we may combine with other information we receive from or about you. For example, if you apply for an employment position with Moderna via our website, we may view your LinkedIn profile.
Aggregated Data. We may aggregate and/or de-identify any Personal Data that we collect, such that the information no longer identifies any specific individual. We may use, disclose and otherwise process such information for our own legitimate business purposes – including historical and statistical analysis and business planning – without restriction.
How We Use Personal Data
We may use Personal Data for the following purposes.
Our legitimate interests
We may process your Personal Data where it is necessary for our legitimate interest as a company, including to manage, promote and improve our business and manage our risk. For example, we may process your Personal Data to:
- provide you with information you requested and/or to respond to your inquiries submitted via the website, email and/or phone,
- facilitate our recruitment activities (such as processing employment applications, evaluating you as a job candidate for an employment activity, and monitoring our recruitment statistics),
- analyze and enhance our communications and strategies (including by identifying when emails sent to you have been received and read),
- tailor the content we display on our website,
- protect against, identify, investigate and respond to fraud, illegal activity (such as incidents of hacking or misuse of our website) and claims and other liabilities,
- maintain the privacy, security, safety or property of the website, and
- communicate with you for other purposes which are evident from the circumstances or about which we inform you when we collect Personal Data from you.
- We may be required by law to collect and process certain Personal Data about you. For example, we may need to process your Personal Data to comply with our contractual obligations to the U.S. government as a government contractor.
We may also seek, either directly or through our trusted third parties, your separate consent to process your Personal Data, for example, when you choose to receive Moderna news and updates from us, or for the use of non-essential cookies.
If we have sought your consent to process your Personal Data, you may subsequently withdraw it at any time by contacting us at the address listed in the “Your Privacy Rights” section below.
Sharing of Personal data
Other Parties in Connection with a Corporate Transaction. We may also transfer Personal data we collected from you to a third party as part of a corporate business transaction such as a merger, acquisition, reorganization, joint venture, financing or sale of our assets.
Other Parties when Required by Applicable Law or As Necessary to Protect Moderna. We may disclose Personal Data to a third party to comply with legal and regulatory requirements, or to protect against fraud, illegal activity (such as responding to incidents of hacking or misuse of our website) and claims and other liabilities.
International Data Transfers
When we share Personal Data with a third party, such data transfers may include the transfer of Personal Data to other countries. Those countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which the Personal Data initially originated.
EEA Residents Only
Moderna, in the US, will act as a data controller and will process your Personal Data, by determining purposes and means of its processing, as per the GDPR. Please be aware that your Personal Data will reside on Aquia’s servers including inside and outside of the European Union. Before transferring your Personal Data outside the EEA, we will take steps to ensure that such data will be afforded the same level of protection as under applicable data protection laws within the EEA. For data transfers outside the EEA, we use, where required, applicable safeguards, including standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission. A copy of these measures can be obtained by contacting us at the email address listed below.
Your Privacy Rights
You may have certain rights as a data subject under applicable law. For example, you may have the right to object to or request restriction of processing of your Personal Data and to request access to, rectification, erasure and portability of the Personal Data we hold about you, subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law. If you would like to receive further information regarding our use of your Personal Data, or if you would like to exercise your rights, please contact us at:
We will attempt to provide any requested information and to make requested changes to the extent required by and permissible under applicable privacy laws and other laws and regulations. In any event, we will endeavor to respond to you as soon advise you of the outcome of your request.
You may file a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority if you consider that our processing of your Personal Data infringes applicable law. Contact details for all EU Supervisory Authorities can be found here.
Moderna uses commercially reasonable administrative, technical, personnel-related, and physical security measures designed to safeguard the Personal Data in our possession against loss, theft and unauthorized use, disclosure, or modification. Of course, despite these measures, we cannot guarantee perfect security of the networks, servers, and databases we operate or that are operated on our behalf. In particular, email sent to or from the website may not be secure. Therefore, you should take special care in deciding what information you send to us via email. Please keep this in mind when disclosing any Personal Data to us via the website.
Your Personal Data will be retained by Moderna only for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected, depending on the purpose(s) for which the Personal Data was collected, the nature of the Personal Data, any contractual relationship that governs the retention of the Personal Data, and our legal or regulatory obligations. We will then destroy or anonymize your Personal Data, in accordance with applicable law.
In the event that we contact you, including via email, we will provide you with a method to opt out of or opt in to receiving further communications to the extent required by law. For example, you may elect to receive email updates about developments regarding Moderna’s products and/or services or about health-related specific topics (e.g. to receive email updates about methylmalonic acidemia (MMA) from Moderna) by completing the relevant “Join our Mailing List” electronic form on our website. If you decide, at any later time, that you no longer wish to receive such email communications from us, you may unsubscribe to any such contact list by using the relevant “Unsubscribe” link within the respective electronic communications channel, or by sending us an email entitled “Unsubscribe from email updates” at firstname.lastname@example.org or EUprivacy@modernatx.com.
Our Children’s Policy
We are committed to protecting the privacy of children. This website’s content and services are not intended for, or designed to attract, children under the age of 18. No Personal Data should be submitted to Moderna through the website by visitors who are younger than 18 years old or about children who are younger than 18 years old. If it comes to our attention that a user of our website is under the age of 18 and has volunteered Personal Data and/or health-related Personal Data, or that a healthcare professional has volunteered Personal Data about a patient who is identified as younger than 18, without the given or authorized consent of the guardian of such child, we will promptly, upon relevant notification or request, endeavor to delete such Personal Data.
CalOPPA Do-Not-Track Notice
We do not track our website users over time and across third party websites and therefore do not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. Moderna does not authorize third parties to collect Personal Data directly from our users on our website, such as through the use of third party advertisements.
Links to Third Party Websites
As a convenience to our visitors, this website may contain links to other websites that we believe may offer useful information. Those links may include links to websites that may perform services for us. Please be aware that Moderna is not responsible for the privacy practices of such other websites and cannot guarantee the privacy standards of such other websites. We encourage our users to be aware when they leave our website and to read the privacy statements of each and every website that collects personally identifiable information. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by our website, and not to any linked, non-Moderna website.
For Additional Information
Attention: Legal Department
200 Technology Square
Cambridge, MA 02139
For residents in the EU/EEA: please email us at email@example.com. You may also contact us in writing at:
Office 29, Clifton House
Fitzwilliam Street Lower
For any other questions or concerns, regardless of place of residence, please email us at info@Moderna.com or contact us in writing at:
Attention: Corporate Communications
200 Technology Square
Cambridge, MA 02139